Wednesday, June 4, 2014

June 1, 2014 I Finally Made the Leap




June 1, 2014 I finally made the leap.

Not many people know that the first Sunday in every June is National Cancer Survivor’s Day. I found this fact a little late while just running through the internet searching for a morsel of inspiration and that is when I finally made the decision to do something that I have been talking myself out of for years.

I made the decision to shave my head.

This past year has been a difficult one for both me and my family. My aunt and the reason I am who I am today was diagnosed with breast cancer. This crushed me. I couldn’t imagine living in a world without this amazing woman that has always inspired me. Not only did she teach me how to use a hot glue gun and started my passion for crafting at a very young age, but she also taught me about the importance of self-confidence. This woman was always the peak of sassy, and worked every outfit, every mood she ever had. I always found in inspiring to go through life with such flamboyant confidence that nothing could get her down. I wanted to be her more than anything else. She truly is my role model and will continue to be as she is fighting through the last phases of treatment and becoming stronger each day. This woman was never a quitter and would never let doubt get a second glance.

And that was why I immediately went to a hair salon.

After some research I discovered the most prominent hair donation organization Locks of Love does not make wigs for cancer patients. Being this was the cause I wanted to support the most; I found the Pantene sponsored organization Beautiful Lengths. This nonprofit makes wigs for girls and teen specifically with cancer.

I chose to donate 22 inches of hair in 6 ponytails leaving me with about an inch left for Debbie, so that no girl has to go through the pain of feeling less than spectacular when they are already heroes for fighting such a terrible disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment