Sunday, May 25, 2014

Slow Cooker Black Beans

Slow Cooker Black Beans

Hello my wonderful darlings!
Today I am sharing with you my recipe for slow cooker black beans. As a vegetarian, I find the majority of my protein diet to be infiltrated by an army of legumes with sergeant commander major black bean.
That being said, these wonderful creatures make their way into at least 3 dinners a 2 lunches a week depending on my schedule. After scouring store after store for canned black beans in my budget I came up greatly disappointed with a poor selection full of sodium and BHA.
Yum.
So I dived head first into the world of purchasing dry beans with little to no knowledge on how to actually cook said beans. Let the adventures begin!
After tons of research and even more trial and error I found this wonderful way to make enough beans for my human household of one to last through all my wonderful cravings.
To begin split the bag of beans in half. Yes half. As the only human and therefore only individual allowed to consume beans (sorry pup) I noticed half of a one pound bag is ample enough for me to eat before going rancid so there are no sad trips to the trash of forgotten leftovers. Also for this slow cooker recipe you will need…a slow cooker
Lets Begin!

Ingredients:
½ pound dry black beans
3 cups water
¼ large onion
1 clove garlic
A few sprigs of oregano, parsley, and cilantro

Start by giving your dry little legumes a quick rinse and sort out any stones peels or other undesirables. Next pour them in to you slow cooker.
Then, chop (roughly) the onion and garlic to release oils of flavors and add to the beans.
Next, pour in the 3 cups of water and top with the fresh (or dry) herbs.
Stir up and let sit for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low
Enjoy!
These beans create a delicious sauce perfect  for black bean soup, over rice, succotash, whatever your heart desires. The fresh herbs bring out the depth of the black beans without adding too much flavor to prevent a wonderful marriage in any savory or spicy dish (I haven’t tried sweet but if you have a recipe share away!) Feel free to double the recipe to fit the serving size of a typical family unit just double everything but the time.
Be sure to check the beans periodically to stir and prevent from burning. Also check the beans 30 minutes prior to being done to see if the skins start to peel back if so, they are completely ready for munching!
Enjoy your legumes!

Comment below if you have any tasty black bean recipes to share or your favorite way to nibble this delicousness. Also stay tune for more black bean recipes as I will be documenting most everything I cook this month!
A special shout out goes to Lindsey Johnson of Café JohnSonia for inspiring this recipe with their way to prepare dry black beans!
http://cafejohnsonia.com/2013/02/how-to-slow-cooker-black-beans.html



No comments:

Post a Comment