Wednesday, August 21, 2013

“Blurring the Lines Between Indoors and Out” Indoor Gardening Series Recycled Seed Starter Pots

Good Morning!

Today marks the beginning of a lovely green series all about indoor gardening! I shall call it:

“Blurring the Lines Between Indoors and Out”

And thanks to the fantastic P. Allen Smith this ravishing phrase has become quite catchy and a tad overused but nonetheless ideal.
As few (if any) of you know I have quite the dainty indoor garden in my bedroom (NOTE* recommended to have a large sunny space as plants take up room and smell slightly dirty thanks to the potting soil) To start my humble gnome home I selected a room with a big window that faces primarily south/southwest in order to harvest all the sunlight I can. I then selected seeds that will work well indoors. I chose Marigolds (yummy tea!) Cucumbers (hardy indoors or out but needs a trellis) Green Bell Peppers (Favorite snack!) and Sunflowers.

Yes, Sunflowers can be grown indoors with high ceilings and plenty of light (No, my parents do not know about this one :] )

To start my lovely seeds I wanted to find an eco-friendly, recyclable, yet decomposable seed starter and after many hours of internet searching I found the perfect one!

To make these cute little guys, I began collecting many toilet paper rolls. I then pre-creased each edge of the bottom of the tube to make it easier to form the pot-like bottom

I then pinched in opposite sides and folded them down to create half the bottom


I repeated the process with the last two remaining “points” to form the base of the pot (this part can be a tad tricky)


 *If your pot doesn’t stand well try placing a small cylinder item inside, setting it on a hard surface, and pressing the flaps flat.

I then filled each little pot 7/8 (fancy measuring skills there *guestimate) full with an organic seed starting medium. I placed a tiny little seed in the middle and filled the pot the rest of the way full with seed starting medium. Place your little dandies on a plastic tray (water and soil may leak out the bottom) in a sunny location (bright window sill or shelf with a grow light) and be patient. Be sure to water frequently and of course introduce yourself to the cute little seeds.


After the little buds are a few inches tall, you are ready to pop them into their permanent home and treasure your new roommates!

No comments:

Post a Comment